Nov 27 2015
Monthly Archives: November 2015
Nov 23 2015
Had a couple hours today to make some real progress. Lot’s of painting and gluing today. Amazingly all the measurements held up. This whole project would have been impossible without the laser cutter at Catylaytor Makerspace. Very close to final assembly. Last challenge to to make the screen accessible again if I ever need access.
Here are the two shots of the “original”. Each is a slight variation, so there is no true original to be duplicated. I tried to stay true, but made a couple mods of my own along the way. You’ll notice the base of the speakers is different. I used a round front foot for the speakers. They are tall and this solved the issue of them toppling over. I also seated the screen flat against the foot (bale). It appears to be slightly off the ground in the pictures, but this didn’t seem to serve a reason. It wasn’t intended to allow the keyboard to fit under so I removed this as it added unneeded complexity to the build. I also eliminated the odd black T brace on the back of the unit. It didn’t serve a purpose and distracted from the clean sweep of the cherry wood.
Here is my take on the Pomona Mac or the B&O Mac.
Nov 22 2015
The heavy woodworking part of the project has kicked in. I’ve been staining the wood and painting. The slow drying gloss black has been a real pain. It takes 12-14 hours until it can really be handled with leaving finger prints. Anyone know a fast drying gloss black that works on wood?
Nov 22 2015
We’re in the home stretch now. The hardware pieces are coming together and the software is almost complete. Here’s is a look at the pieces first assembled. No painting or gluing yet, but they fit together much better than I expected.
Nov 17 2015
Great progress recently on both the software and hardware side.
- Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS installed
- Macbuntu installed to make it look like OSX. Amazingly close to the real OSX.
- SheepShaver – Emulates PowerPC setup with OS9 up and running.
- Basilisk II – Emulates 68040 with Quadra 630 ROM. Yes, I do own a couple of these, so ROMs are legal.
You can see the results below. All the pieces fit together very nicely. Its amazing the tolerances of a laser cutter. The whole thing “snaps” together. Next steps are to paint and apply the cherry wood veneer and stain. I expect this will be a Version 1 product, but I’m hopeful given how well the pieces fit.
Nov 4 2015
I’m very excited about a break through in how I’m actually going to build the prototype. I’ve joined a makerspace in Silver Spring, MD, Catalaytor Makerspace. The curved wood was presenting the greatest challenge. Two test were tried.
- Steam bending of 1/4 baltic birch plywood. I just ran a small scale test and it was going to be very tough. I couldn’t get an precision on the bend.
- Kerf cuts of the wood to make it bendable. This might have worked, but would require lots of cuts and gluing.
The Makerspace changes the game by getting me access to a laser cutter. Now I’m building out a frame and applying wood veneer to the frame.
Here is a look at the first attempt.
Someday soon it will look like this.